Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What is a fair rate to charge for a portrait if you're a beginner? Is it OK to take portraits free of charge, or is that unethical?

Someone asked this question above on our list of issues. I thought I'd try to answer it, and begin the dialogue, seeing if anyone else would hopefully join it.

I would say a minimum rate should be $100 (plus expenses, including printing) for an hour or two of shooting. If the client has a lot of money don't be afraid to ask for more. You might also try quoting a "half day rate" and "full day rate" -- mine would be $250 for half-day and $500 for a full day (and I would ask for much, much more for a wedding). If it was for a friend I might do it for free, or for a trade.

I realize you're just trying to establish yourself. But charge what you think a good photographer should be paid. It doesn't help you or anyone else if you undervalue your time, your work, or the profession. Set the bar high enough that the customer expects to spend money to get good photographs, and push yourself to keep improving and to mak high quality work.

If you think your work is really not that good, maybe you should just do if for free until you get better -- or ask for a "donation" if they like the work.

To further try to answer the second part of the question: I don't think it's unethical to shoot for free -- even if you are someone really good. I think it's totally ethical and quite laudable to "gift" someone your time and talents. But maybe I misunderstood the second part of the question?

that's my two cents. what about other folks -- what do you think is a fair rate for a beginner?

2 comments:

  1. I saw a quote recently that went something like this "Work for full price or for free. Never at a discount." I'm not sure the reason behind this, but I like it.

    From a business perspective, starting out charging a decent rate is vitally important because if your rates are dirt cheap, it makes it very hard to raise prices in the future. Chances are, business will grow mainly from word of mouth as you gain clients/customers. And if these word of mouth referrals are expecting you to charge $25, it's going to be very hard to quadruple that that $100. And it will also turn off existing and past customers. There is also something very real about perceived value. If something costs more, people will assume that it's better. And I've found that customers treat you better and trust you more when you charge more. The worst clients are the ones you charging very little.

    Just my two cents based on experience as a web developer, but creative work is creative work and business is business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your comments Erik. I agree whole-heartedly

    ReplyDelete