Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mission/Artist Statement and Goals

Per the assignment, here are mine for comment.

Mission Statement

I use color and light as tools in my photographs to create abstractions of ordinary objects. These objects pique my curiosity and the resulting images remind me that there is beauty and joy in the ordinary. I also use these images to explore the personal emotional value I attach to colors and light that surround me on a daily basis. For me, colors and light are about intensity. I strive to create intensity and emotional response through the use of color and light. By creating these images I hope to tap into the notion that colors and light in a photograph can be associated with every human emotion and sensation from strength to iciness.

Perhaps most importantly, I hope to create images that allow my imagination to roam when asking "what is that?" Much like a kaleidoscope’s changing shape, I seek to make images that allow me to constantly re-evaluate” what is this" and "what does it mean."

Goals
A. Artistic
i. Short-Term

1) To solidify my artistic style and portfolio with the intention of having a sufficiently deep and wide body of work to present to a variety of parties

Obstacle/Question: I currently explore one primary theme/style. Should my work be deeper or wider? Is there a case to explore more? If so, why? And lastly, how long can one “ride” a particular style of work before needed to do a new set of work? For example, Roy Lichtenstein seemed to do the same work for decades. Andres Serrano has been exploring themes of disgust and taboo for decades.

2) To explore the boundaries of photography in my work
3) To establish a local network and comfort with my work that enables me to participate in at least one group show within the next 6 months.

Obstacle/Question: My work is not traditional photography. Are there gallery venues more or less appropriately suited to this style?
ii. Long-Term
1) To regularly participate in individual shows at local and/or non-local galleries

Obstacle/Question: Are individual shows mostly a function of network connections within galleries that the artist has no control over? In other words, are these garnered mostly through the status of your work and your general name recognition and not through direct “ask?”

2) To establish a presence within commercial art markets such as interior design, and “stock photography”

Obstacle/Question: There are books that make suggestions on these types of markets and give contacts. Are these effective suggestions? What are the most effective ways to introduce oneself into these markets?
iii. Ultimate

1) To be recognized by friends and the outside world as bringing a joyful perspective to art
2) To generate sufficient quality of work and reviews to be invited to show at major art gatherings such as Art Basel

B. Financial
i. Short-Term

1) To establish a means to create and sell work on a break even basis

(revenue – material costs = 0)

Question/Obstacle: What other compensation models besides the 50/50 split model exist within the gallery/artist relationship? Are there situations when these other models are accepted? Only for established artists?
ii. Long-Term

1) To create a practice that allows me to sell my work at a net profit
2) To attain the ability to make part of living from the sale of my work
iii. Ultimate

1) To comfortably rely on revenue from artistic endeavors as my primary source of income

1 comment:

  1. great, logan. I'll see you before class, but this definitely will give us direction and priorities in class when it's your turn to talk about your goals and obstacle. sorry I don't have more time to read it now, but will offer you comments in class.

    ReplyDelete