Sunday, April 11, 2010

Roger's Videos

Roger very quietly posted a video on our blog at the bottom of the link column. I hope you don't mind, Roger, but I'm going to link it up in this posting, so everyone knows to have a look. Click here to go to the video.

Maybe we can take a few moments in class to talk about it, Roger, if that is part of what you want to talk about? or folks can post comments under this posting.

I for one really enjoy the tranquility of the piece. I think it has a very meditative, contemplative quality - -and your title and explanation of it make perfect sense. Makes me ponder what is going on behind the camera (who is this person who is watching travelers, then actually moving slowly himself down the night road, why is he out at night, why is he watching and dreaming these people moving through the darkness); and I also ponder who are all of those other night travelers. Good job, Roger!

Let's see more!

PS: I just noticed Roger said that he shot a video for assignment 2 -- totally cool idea -- this second piece (click here) definitely has a sound/rhythm/mood to it -- it's playful, fun, maybe a little bit silly -- and an intersting use of still images to create music/narrative in a film piece. It's also really interesting and effective (but quite different) to watch without the sound. Did you try that, Roger? others?

what about other folks, anybody got some work to share?!

***Unfortunately Roger had to take the second video down, we will watch it in class***

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting work. I read the comments below the video and was curious what you meant when you said: "contrasts some of the busy activities of a large city with a slower pace that is inherent in the activities themselves." I'm interested to know what you mean when you say that something (such as the pace) is inherent in the activities themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The freeway seen from above seemed slower and more tranquil than my memory of what freeways are like... that slow pace made me wonder where all the people in those cars had come from and where they were going to, as well as the multitude diverse lives that I don't think I could ever fully comprehend. But when I'm down in it, I don't think that way at all. Very meditative, indeed!

    ReplyDelete