Friday, April 9, 2010

Assignment 2

Assignment #2: “The Sound I Saw” (or “the images I heard”)

Try to shoot a series of photos that are connected by an audible theme -- by some kind of "MUSIC" -- it could be jazz, hip-hop, blues, techno-trance music, or something like that -- or it could be a kind of naturally occurring "music" like the wind blowing or water flowing or traffic on the street, tires on wet pavement on the highway, a baby giggling and cooing, a typewriter typing, etc. in other words it doesn't have to be a traditional concept of music - -but just the audible music of life -- a kind of spirit you are going to translate into images. How does that sound FEEL?! what are the emotional or physical contours of that MUSIC. What is the rhythm of that music. Please try to avoid doing something literal - -don't just shoot things that illustrate the lyrics to a song, or are the literal images of something like a stream running across rocks. try to think metaphorically and really try to put that sound into the images using all of the techniques and tools of photography. A suggestion: you might try shooting with headphones on playing music while you shoot.

Bring photos to class next week, or post or link to this blog.

4 comments:

  1. I'm posting a video of the photos I shot for this assignment. View it on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally cool, Roger. At first I mixed up and thought both this video and the one you put on the links at right were the same. but this is so fun & playful -- you definitely have a personal warmth and joy that comes thru.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Bobby.

    I need to delete this video. Unfortunately I got a notice from YouTube that the music I used matched copyrighted content. That's not surprising in that my research found that every sound recording made since 1922 IS copyrighted until at least 2046.

    While I think my video constituted fair use, I'm not prepared to go through the hassle of defending that position.

    I'll share the video in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, that's too bad for our blog, but good that you will bring it into class, and very good of you to take the time to do it.

    funny, though, this issue of fair use and copyright -- I see so many videos on you tube where someone puts photos to someone else's music -- I don't know how and why they singled you out?!

    maybe we can talk for a few moments about fair use and copyright.

    ReplyDelete